Why You Can't Speak the Language You Already Know
"The biggest obstacle in language learning is not vocabulary. It is the question your brain asks itself before you speak."
Most language learners think their problem is vocabulary.
Some blame grammar.
Others believe they simply need more practice.
But during one lesson, I noticed something that explained far more than another grammar rule ever could.
A Simple Experiment
I asked a student a very ordinary question.
"How are you?"
The answer came instantly.
"Nothing new."
"I'm fine."
"Not bad."
"So-so."
Completely natural.
Then I asked one more question.
"Now say exactly the same thing in English."
Everything changed.
The student froze.
"I don't know how to say that."
"I don't know how to translate it."
"I don't know the right words."
But something important had happened.
The problem wasn't English anymore.
The problem was the student's way of thinking.
Two Different Questions
When speaking your native language, your brain asks:
"What do I want to say?"
When switching to a foreign language, many learners suddenly replace it with another question:
"What am I able to say?"
These are not the same question.
The first one creates communication.
The second one creates fear.
Instead of expressing an idea, the learner starts searching through grammar rules, vocabulary lists and memorized phrases.
The original thought disappears.
Only the search remains.
Translation Is Not the Goal
Many students believe they need to translate every sentence.
In reality, people almost never communicate through translation.
They communicate through intention.
Suppose you answer:
"I'm fine."
Do you really need those exact words?
Maybe what you actually mean is:
- I'm okay.
- Not bad.
- Can't complain.
- Same as always.
- Pretty good.
- Surviving.
- Nothing special.
None of these is a literal translation.
Yet every one of them can express the feeling you wanted to share.
The goal is not to reproduce the sentence.
The goal is to reproduce the meaning.
The Brain Changes Modes
This is what I see in lessons.
As long as students answer naturally, they communicate.
The moment they hear:
"Say it in English."
many stop communicating.
Their brain enters examination mode.
They are no longer answering the question.
They are trying not to make mistakes.
That is a completely different mental process.
One Small Change
So I started giving students a different instruction.
Don't ask yourself:
"How do I translate this?"
Ask yourself:
"If this person didn't speak my language, how would I express the same idea?"
Something interesting happens.
The brain stops looking for perfect translations.
It starts looking for communication.
And communication is exactly what language was created for.
Language Begins Before Words
People often believe that speaking starts with vocabulary.
I don't think it does.
Speaking starts with intention.
Words come later.
If your first thought is:
"What do I want this person to understand?"
you are already thinking like a speaker.
If your first thought is:
"Which grammar rule should I use?"
you are still thinking like a translator.
That difference may seem small.
In practice, it changes everything.
Final Thought
The biggest breakthrough in language learning does not happen when you memorize more words.
It happens when your brain stops asking,
"How do I translate this?"
and starts asking,
"How do I make this person understand what I mean?"
That is the moment language stops being a school subject.
It becomes communication.
Author
© Tymur Levitin
Founder & Director, Levitin Language School
Language educator, translator and researcher of language thinking.
🌐 https://levitintymur.com
🌐 https://languagethinkinglab.blogspot.com
Telegram: @START_SCHOOL_TYMUR_LEVITIN
WhatsApp / Viber: +380 93 291 34 29


Comments
Post a Comment