Stop Asking Yourself What You Can Say in English


There is a question that quietly destroys natural communication in a foreign language.

Most learners ask it without even noticing:

“What can I say in English?”

It sounds perfectly reasonable.

But I think it is often the wrong question.

Because the moment you ask yourself what you can say, you stop thinking about what you actually want to say.

And that changes everything.

You Were Speaking Perfectly Until I Changed the Language

This happens constantly in language lessons.

I ask a student:

“How are you?”

They answer naturally in their own language.

Nothing special.

Not bad.

Could be better.

Same as always.

They do not construct an answer.

They simply respond.

Then I say:

“Good. Now tell me the same thing in English.”

And suddenly:

“I don't know how to say it.”

Or:

“I don't know how to translate it.”

The interesting thing is that thirty seconds earlier, the student knew exactly what they wanted to communicate.

The thought existed.

The emotion existed.

The intention existed.

Only the language changed.

But the student's entire mental process changed with it.

The Wrong Question Changes the Task

When you speak your own language, you normally think:

What do I want this person to understand?

But when many learners switch to English, German or another foreign language, the question becomes:

What words do I know?

What grammar can I use?

What sentence am I capable of building?

Now you are no longer communicating.

You are searching your internal database.

This is one reason why a learner can understand a great deal and still struggle to speak spontaneously. It is also why learning to think in a foreign language is not simply a matter of replacing words from one language with words from another.

The entire direction of thought has to change.

Don't Translate the Sentence. Preserve the Intention.

Suppose someone asks:

“How are you?”

And your natural reaction in your own language means something like:

“Да нормально.”

Now imagine that you start searching for the exact English translation.

You may freeze.

But what did you actually want to communicate?

Maybe:

Not bad.

Maybe:

I'm alright.

Maybe:

Can't complain.

Maybe:

Same as always.

Maybe simply:

Fine.

The original sentence is no longer important.

The communicative intention is.

This is precisely why the goal should be real communication rather than studying rules in isolation.

Language is not a photocopier.

You do not have to reproduce the original sentence.

You have to make another human being understand what you mean.

Imagine the Other Person Does Not Speak Your Language

This is the experiment I now use with students.

I tell them:

Forget about translation for a moment.

Imagine that the person in front of you simply does not understand your native language.

You still want to tell them something.

What do you do?

You use whatever linguistic resources you have.

Perhaps the sentence becomes shorter.

Perhaps you choose a different expression.

Perhaps you lose one nuance and preserve another.

That is normal.

You are communicating.

This simple mental shift is closely connected with learning how to think in English without translating. The objective is not to eliminate your native language by force. The objective is to stop treating every foreign-language sentence as a translation assignment.

“What Can I Say?” Is a Dangerous Question

There is another problem with asking yourself:

“What can I say in English?”

Your knowledge begins to determine your thoughts.

You stop saying what you mean.

Instead, you say what your vocabulary allows you to say easily.

That may be useful at the very beginning.

But if this becomes a permanent habit, something strange happens.

You can study a language for years and still speak through a narrow collection of safe sentences.

Your personality becomes smaller in the foreign language.

Your humor disappears.

Your uncertainty disappears.

Your irony disappears.

Your emotional shades disappear.

Not because the language cannot express them.

Because you never start with them.

You start with your vocabulary.

This is why speaking without fear of mistakes is not only about becoming more confident. It is also about allowing meaning to come before linguistic perfection.

Start With Meaning

I would reverse the process.

Do not begin with:

What English do I know?

Begin with:

What do I want to communicate?

Then use the English you have to get as close to that meaning as possible.

Sometimes the result will be elegant.

Sometimes it will be primitive.

Sometimes you will have to explain one idea with five simple words because you do not know the perfect one.

Good.

That is real communication.

And this is one of the central ideas behind the Tymur Levitin Method: Thinking Instead of Memorizing in Language Learning: language should become an instrument for working with meaning, not merely a collection of structures that students reproduce when prompted.

Train on Your Teacher

I sometimes tell students:

Train on me.

A lesson is one of the safest places to experiment with this.

Do not try to impress me with the English or German you know.

Try to make me understand what you actually wanted to say.

If you cannot express it directly, go around it.

Explain it.

Simplify it.

Change the sentence.

Use an example.

But preserve the thought.

This is what meaningful speaking practice online should develop: not the ability to produce predetermined sentences, but the ability to find a route from your own thought to another person's understanding.


The Goal Is Not a Perfect Translation

A person who speaks freely does not necessarily know the perfect equivalent of every sentence.

They know how to keep communication alive.

That is a much more valuable skill.

The question is no longer:

“How do I say this?”

It becomes:

“What am I trying to make this person understand?”

And then:

“How can I do that with the language I have right now?”

Those two questions can take a learner much further than endlessly searching for perfect translations.

Language Is a Tool for Human Thought

This is also why our approach at Levitin Language School is built around individual communication rather than forcing every student through exactly the same linguistic script.

People do not have identical thoughts.

They do not have identical lives.

And they should not be expected to produce identical language.

For learners in the United States and international students looking for practical online language education, Language Learnings develops the same broader principle from a practical perspective: the language you learn has to become usable in your own life.

Because ultimately, learning a language is not about becoming capable of saying what the textbook prepared you to say.

It is about becoming capable of remaining yourself when the language changes.

Final Thought

Before you speak, do not ask:

“What can I say in English?”

Ask:

“What do I want to say?”

Then find a way.

Maybe not the perfect way.

Maybe not the way a textbook would suggest.

But a way that carries your thought from your mind to another person's mind.

That is communication.

And that is where speaking really begins.


Continue Reading

This article develops the idea explored in Why You Can't Speak the Language You Already Know: many learners do not lose their language knowledge when they try to speak — they unconsciously change the task their brain is trying to perform.

You can also explore Thinking in a Foreign Language and How to Think in English Without Translating for the broader framework behind this approach.


Learn More

Explore the teaching philosophy and individual online learning approach of Levitin Language School.

For students in the United States and the international English-speaking audience, visit Language Learnings.


Author: Tymur Levitin
Founder & Director, Levitin Language School
Language educator, translator and creator of the Language Thinking approach

© Tymur Levitin. All rights reserved.

Levitin Language School: https://levitintymur.com
Language Learnings — USA: https://languagelearnings.com
Language Thinking Lab: https://languagethinkinglab.blogspot.com

Telegram: @START_SCHOOL_TYMUR_LEVITIN
WhatsApp / Viber: +380 93 291 34 29

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Latin Americans Understand English But Cannot Speak

Why You Don't Forget a Language — You Lose Access to It

School Subjects Are Different Languages